Friday, July 13, 2007

Tada! A short photo tour!

And here it is folks, the moment you've all been waiting for (and the one that took me several hours and several thousand Kwacha at an Internet cafe to complete). PHOTOS! Yay!



The plan here is to take you on a mini-summary of what I've been up to so far. Enjoy the ride!



























The view from the South African Airways flight landing in Johannesburg at 6:50am. This is quite possible the longest and the largest sunset I've ever seen.


The gang spent a few days together at the Kuomboka Backpackers in Lusaka getting acquinted with life in Zambia. If you're ever looking for a nice cold beer and a friendly bartender, this is the place to go (plus they have a hot shower!).



<<>>


While in town we met with some important folks like the man in the middle here - the District Commissioner for Mazabuka District. Our photographer liked to take photos of us getting ready to take photos so I've included this one rather than the 'good copy' since it's actually better. e were also given some VERY yellow shirts (and hats, but Mary and I preferred not to wear those...).



And finally, a look at the place I call work. The Information Kiosk (or container as everyone has come to call it). I'm working on getting a name for this place though, something that captures what it is or could be, rather than just the facts that it literally contains things.




The view on the way into or out of (I can't remember) the bustling metropolis of Lusaka. I think these must be the suburbs...

More view, this time the sun setting near Mazabuka. The haze is a result of burning the sugar cane fields. The sugar cane doesn't burn itself, but all the snakes do, so it's safe for harvesting.






I think I mentioned this is a previous blog. Stacks and stacks of watermelons!! All the way from Lusaka to Chibombo (where Mary is working). They're also only about $1.50.







While in Chibombo Mary and I got to check out some pretty neat sites. Including this strange swampy place where lots of fisherman make their living...using mosquito nets to catch fish.



I eventually move to my village, Simwaba, where I share this house with Lindah. There are several more like this is our clearing, and a big one as well where most of the family sleeps.


This is Lindah, holding my chicken.



This is me (duh), hanging out shelling groundnuts to make peanut butter. Behind me you can see most of the big house as well as the small house that's used for storage and a broom.


This is our kitchen during sunset, and the tree that all the chickens and roosters sleep in. The tiny white line in the sky is the moon.



This is half of the inside of my house (the half with the bed). To the right is a small table that my bag has exploded onto, and on the right is where Lindah keeps her things. The pink and black fabric in the left corner is the divider between "bedroom" and "rest of house".



I am trying to wash my clothes. Lindah only lets me do the easy ones right now but I'm hoping to graduate to jeans soon. The fabric I'm wearing around my waist is called a chitenge (che-ten-gay) and is a stable for every woman in Zambia.

Right, count your blessings I had the patience to upload that many (a few of them several times). Hope that was a little more enlightening. Lemme know what you want to see next and I'll do my best to have the patience to upload it.

Thanks,

~Kate~

2 comments:

Kate Bowers said...

Holy poop! Sorry about formatting! It didn't look quite that bad before I posted it. Lesson learned (don't tell people you'll post photos from a Zambian Internet cafe).
~Kate~

Erin said...

thanks so much for posting photos kate, they're beaaaaaaautiful!!!! i hope you're having a wonderful time, can't wait to catch up when you're back. but until then, enjoy every moment!!
love erin